Monday, July 28, 2008

Rockin' Movies

There have been many memorable movies centered around the world of rock and other musical genres. Here is my personal top 10. I haven’t included musicals or documentaries (real ones anyway). Enjoy.

10. Rock Star
I was really looking forward to this one after seeing the trailers, but it didn’t live up to the hype for me. However, I did enjoy the idea of a regular guy, who could be any one of us who loves music, getting the chance to become the new lead singer of his all time favorite band. Also, the band in the movie, Steel Dragon, could have easily been one of several hair bands I listened to back in the 80’s. For those reasons, it makes my list.

9. High Fidelity
Although this movie’s plot centers around the main character’s breakup with his girlfriend and his other five most memorable splits, it is the conversations in the record store where most of the movie is set that gets it on my list. The banter between actor’s Jack Black and Todd Louiso and the customers in the store as they show off their musical knowledge and create their top 5 lists, make this one worth the price of admission.

8. The Doors
It’s been a while since I seen this movie. But what I remember most about the film is Val Kilmer’s haunting portrayal of Jim Morrison. Oliver Stone directs this movie that covers the rise and fall of the famous band and lead singer.

7. The Commitments
Set in Ireland, it follows a group of unemployed people who form a band. It also features great performances, both acting and musical. The Commitments, containing at least some of the actors in the film, are now a real touring band.

6. Walk the Line
Great acting, great singing, great story, this movie had it all. The Johnny Cash biopic was popular with critics and audiences alike, and it was easy to see why.

5. School of Rock
I just loved Jack Black in this movie as he portrayed a man obsessed with rock music and refusing to let it go even in the slightest way. Jack Black’s rants on the real and true purpose of rock and roll – stickin’ it to the man, are priceless. Apparently there is a School of Rock 2 in the works.

4. Wayne’s World
If there was a character I ever related to in the movies it was Wayne Campbell. For a few years in my life, I was very similar to Wayne, including his musical interests, and fashion choices (hat, hair, t-shit and jeans). I saw this one on opening night and the theatre was full of enthusiasts. There were moments of applause and cheers; it was almost like being at a rock concert. The sequel was not as strong, but also provided a lot of laughs and was a memorable film as well.

3. Almost Famous
I loved this movie. The plot covers the adventures of a teenage boy who gets a chance to write a story for Rolling Stone on an up and coming band, Stillwater. It is a coming of age movie, but it’s also fun to watch the portrayal of the band, and the boy’s interaction with them and their crew. It features a great scene when everyone on the tour bus, tired and haggard from the road, breaks into Elton John’s Tiny Dancer.

2. Hard Core Logo
This is a fantastic Canadian movie. It is a mock documentary that follows the trials of a punk rock band called Hard Core Logo. The movie is a dark and tragic tale, and stars Hugh Dillon as the band’s troubled lead singer. Dillon is also known for fronting the Canadian band The Headstones, who had some success in the 90’s. An awesome movie!!

1. Spinal Tap
This is not only my favorite movie on this list, but possibly my favorite of all time. I have seen this movie many many times. If I see it on TV, my initial reaction is – oh no, not this again. But after I watch for 30 seconds I am hooked and usually finish it right to the end. It is hilarious and contains one classic scene and line after another. I actually had the chance to see Spinal Tap perform in the early 90’s and they sounded great and were as funny as ever.

2 comments:

Bill said...

Missing from this list IMHO is the excellent "Still Crazy" starring Bill Nighy, Jimmy Nail and Timothy Spall. A British made film it charts the comeback of 70s Rock Legends "Strange Fruit" as they reunite for the Wisbech Rock Festival. Funny, poignant and thoroughly entertaining the musics pretty hot too, with a fair bit of it written by either Nail himself or Bernie Marsden. Check it out... I reckon you'd love it!


Bill

http://rockofages.wordpress.com

The Rock Brigade Blogger said...

I haven't seen this movie, but will definately check it out, it sounds great. Thanks for the recommendation!!