Saturday, July 26, 2008

Life, Death, Love and Freedom by John Mellencamp


Wow!! That was my first reaction to this latest recording from John Mellencamp, Life, Death, Love and Freedom. I haven’t paid much attention to Mellencamp since I last owned The Lonesome Jubilee in the late 80’s. I’ve heard all the singles since, and some of the other songs, but never really embraced any of it. However, I was in the mood for something a little different, and picked up this one on a whim after reading the review over at Layla’s Classic Rock Faves.

This album is truly unique and if I had to pick only one word to describe it, it would be haunting. Gone are the pop radio friendly singles and what’s left is a folk rock collection of powerful, emotional and raw songs. The opening track, Longest Days, is a stripped down acoustic gem. It sets the somber and dark tone that follows right through to the end of the album. In some earlier posts I talked of my affection for Blue Rodeo and Neil Young. For the same reasons I like those artists, I like this recording. For the rest of the summer, it will be this CD that I listen to when I am sitting on the deck as dusk turns to dark and relinquish in the peacefulness of the quiet evenings that I enjoy so much this time of year.

If you are looking for something to put on at a party or have a sing-a-long to in the same vein as R.O.C.K in the USA, Jack and Diane, Pink Houses, or the many other popular Mellencamp tracks, then forget about this one. But if you want to sit back and be taken away in the melancholy of some great music and lyrics, then purchase this disc. For what it is, it is a near masterpiece. Grade A+

Favorite Tracks: Longest Days, Young Without Lovers, Jena, Mean

No comments: