Friday, July 11, 2008

Poison's Latest Release Disappoints

Poison, one the 80s best party bands, offers up 13 cover tunes on their latest release, Poison’D. I must admit, when I heard about this project I was looking forward to it, but unfortunately it disappoints. A couple of years ago Def Leppard also released a cover album titled Yeah. This record offered a collection of mostly slightly obscure cover songs and was not one cliché after another. The songs sounded great and the album was pleasantly fresh and exciting. Poison’s attempt brings forth the opposite affect.

The songs here sound nothing better than a cover band on a Saturday night in a small town bar. The selections consist of mostly already overplayed clichés such as Little Willy, What I Like About You, Just What I Needed and Squeeze Box. Again, maybe it’s just personal taste and circumstances talking here, because I’ve heard the aforementioned songs, and others on this album, belted out many a night in a smokey nightclub, during a string of summers working in a small Canadian town.

I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for Poison, because back in their prime, I was also in mine, and partied to their music often. Unfortunately, I have nothing really good to say about this recording. I give it a D.

This is a band I would love to see perform live and I am guessing still put off a very fun show. I would love to hear from anyone who has seen them in the last couple of years and what your thoughts were on the experience. Drop me a line if you have.

No comments: