Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Couple of Quick Judas Priest Reviews

Judas Priest has been back with Rob Halford on vocals now for some time. They have released two albums since his return, 2005’s Angel of Retribution and 2008’s Nostradamus. They are one of my favorite metal bands and here are my reviews of these most recent two efforts.


Angel of Retribution
It’s amazing to think with a body of work as impressive as Judas Priest that I could sit this disc, put out just over 30 years after their first, close to the top. This is classic Priest all the way. It opens with a killer first track, Judas Rising, and it pretty much sets the tone for the rest of the ride through. The double kick on the drums, crushing guitars and Halford’s screams are all there. Track two, Deal with the Devil, is just as heavy but a little more melodic in nature and is one of my favorites. But it doesn’t stop there, pick any track on this one, and I can say something good about it. It does end with an odd number, a long epic song about the Lochness Monster. There is an excellent mid-tempo track called Worth Fighting For and a slow acoustic song called Angel. They all work. If you like Judas Priest, I feel confident in saying you will love Angel of Retribution. Grade A+.

Favorite Tracks: Judas Rising, Deal With the Devil, Worth Fighting For, Revolution, Angel


Nostradamus
Nostradamus is a monstrous piece of work. A two CD set concept album based on the life of the prophet Nostradamus. Every time I hear of an upcoming concept album I get excited, but I’m not sure why. I always end up caring very little about whatever the concept is and simply enjoying or disliking the music, just as I would with any other record.

Nostradamus has that usual effect of a concept album on me and I find myself paying little attention to the theme at all. However, this album is still a great accomplishment. With two CDs of mostly strong songs you shouldn’t be disappointed. However, be warned if you enjoy the heavy stuff, this one is a little more mellow, and it is a different Priest album for sure. Make no mistake, this is still metal, it is still Priest, but there are more of the heavy thumping mid-tempo tracks and slower songs throughout. Overall, I enjoy Nostradamus, but not near as much as their previous release. The concept doesn’t work for me, but the music in most places does. The first disc in this set is the stronger and my favorite tracks are listed below. Grade B.

Favorite Tracks: Prophecy, Revelations, War, Visions, Conquest

4 comments:

homercat said...

I absolutely agree with you on these albums, and how's this for a kicker. I went and saw Priest just last night here in Victoria and my god they were amazing. They opened the show with Dawn of Creation and Prophecy and it sent chills down my spine.

The Rock Brigade Blogger said...

Judas Priest concert - that must have been awesome! Would love to hear more about it! What did they close out the show with?

homercat said...

here's the setlist for the show.

1. Dawn of Creation
2. Prophecy
3. Metal Gods
4. Eat Me Alive
5. Between the Hammer and the Anvil
6. Devil's Child
7. Breaking the Law
8. Hell Patrol
9. Death
10. Dissident Aggressor
11. Angel
12. The Hellion / Electric Eye
13. Rock Hard, Ride Free
14. Sinner
15. Painkiller

ENCORE

16. Hell Bent for Leather
17. The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Pronged Crown)
18. You've Got Another Thing Coming

The show was everything you could expect and even though they're older, I think they've ratcheted it up a notch. How in the world Halford can still sing like that blows my mind. I thought he was gonna blow his vocal cords on Painkiller.

The Rock Brigade Blogger said...

Thanks so much for this. The show sounded awesome!! Perhaps there's a song or two they didn't play that I would like to have heard. But hey - they have so many great ones, it's impossible to play them all and the setlist looks great. Rob Halford’s vocals, along with Bruce Dickinson’s of Iron Maiden, continue to amaze me. Two of metal’s all time great singers for sure.