Thursday, July 10, 2008

Great Music Found on Bon Jovi’s Lost Highway


Dare I say best Bon Jovi album ever. No. But I must admit, that after the first listen I was leaning in that direction. This is a very strong offering from the band, and certainly their strongest effort in the last 10 years or more. The band is to be credited with staying in the spotlight, evolving and yet staying true to themselves. And this album is an excellent representation of that. There is unquestionably a matured sound, but it is still Bon Jovi. I always admire when a band can pull off this feat.

The one thing that brought this album down for me was the overall mellow feel it has after a few listens, which is why I quickly changed my “best Bon Jovi album ever” thoughts. This is just personal taste however, and although the songs are strong, and there are upbeat tracks, I would prefer an overall livelier feel.

The album opens with the strong first single, Lost Highway, and then moves into one of the best Bon Jovi songs recorded in a long time, Summertime. It is an upbeat feel good rocker that is sure to get you tapping your feet. I hope this one remains part of their set list. It would also make a great single and video, but unfortunately I am guessing we may be treated to a string of ballads to hit the airwaves and video channels. I have never been a big fan of Bon Jovi’s ballads, not even back in the Slippery When Wet and New Jersey days. Lost Highway has plenty of them, and it is why the album will not rank up with Slippery or New Jersey for me.

However, this is personal taste only, and this is still most definitely a fantastic record. I am giving it a grade of B, but I am sure there are many who will score it higher. I think by giving us strong recordings and great live shows, Bon Jovi has shown no signs of slowing down and are to be commended for it. I suspect they will be around for many years to come.

Favourite Tracks: Lost Highway, Summertime, Whole Lot of Leavin’, Any Other Day.

No comments: