Saturday, July 12, 2008

Motely Crue's Saints of Los Angles


The Crue are back with a band new album and tour to boot. I have given the entire CD a few complete listens now and my first thoughts are the bad boys of rock have put out a decent recording, but not a classic Crue album by any means. The album is titled Saints of Los Angles, and most of the songs have recognizable themes to match this name. There are typical Crue lyrics to keep their image in tact from “I’d rather be face down in the dirt with a bullet in my head” to “This ain’t no love song, this is a f*** song”.

The album does not contain any fist pumping, head banging anthems, as Motley Crue have been famous for over the years. However, there are also no songs here that stand out as very weak either. For me, it plays as a collection of mediocre songs. It is heavy, for which I will give credit to the band, and there is no attempt at obvious commercialization here.

However, I still feel after another few plays, this one may not find its way back to my CD player very often. Decent, but not super. Grade B - .

I am going to miss Motley Crue’s performance in Toronto this summer by about two weeks, which disappoints me. Any readers have plans to see them this summer, or have done so already? If so, drop me a line.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, we're really on two sides of the ocean with this one.

There's no fist pumping, head banging songs here? I just don't see it that way.

The song, "SOLA", is a classic Crue cut, IMO, and I suspect that'll be in their setlist for years to come and the rest of the album is great sleazy, LA-infested hard rock.

The Rock Brigade Blogger said...

You liked this one hey. You are not alone, I have read a few positive reviews of this album. For some reason it just didn't grab me. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but I didn't love it. Maybe it's time I give it another spin or two because I do love Motley Crue. Thanks for stopping by!