Friday, September 5, 2008

My Worst Rock Songs!

I hesitated to do a post like this. I am never one to criticize anyone for the type of music they like, just because it’s not my thing, doesn’t mean it can’t be yours. Whatever you like, then enjoy it and don’t defend it. Actually one of my pet peeves is when someone doesn’t like a certain song or type of music and make it their mission to try and convince those who do like it why they shouldn’t. Hey, if you don’t like, don’t listen and let those who do crank it loud.

So this post is just meant to be good hearted fun. We all have certain songs our there that for whatever reason make us cringe every time we hear them. Maybe it’s past experience that has mentally blocked you from ever caring to hear them again. Just as there are some timeless classics that will never grow old for you, there are some you can barely stand to stay in the same room while they are being played.

Here are five that I just cannot, never did, and likely never will enjoy. There are some great rock songs on the list, some very popular ones, from some talented artists, but these particular songs do not work for me. I’d be curious to hear from any of you out there with what songs make your list.

Boy I am putting myself out there for some criticism now, but remember, it’s just for fun. Here goes:

Paradise by the Dashboard Light, Meat Loaf. I was never really a fan of any of Meat Loaf’s music to be honest. I am not sure why, it sure is catchy. I can tolerate some of the songs, but not really this one, arguably his signature hit. Where I come from this is a wedding favorite and on many occasions I get nabbed into dancing with someone I don’t want to dance with, to a song I don’t like. And it’s so long!! Oh the horrible memories. How many times have I been in such a situation just waiting for Meat Loaf to “hurry up and decide” because “if I have to spend another minute with him I don’t think I could really survive”. I will give Meat Loaf some credit. I did see him perform as part of a festival and he put off a great live performance!! And yes, for the 60 plus minutes he performed, I may have even been a bit of a fan.

Old Time Rock and Roll, Bob Seger. I like Bob Seger and think he has put out some great rock songs. This one ever stirs memories of a classic scene in a great movie, Risky Business. But it’s one of these old cliché songs for me. You know the more I think about it, the more I realize how much weddings have ruined a lot of music for me. This is another wedding staple. Hmmmm…..maybe this post should have been called wedding music I hate. But then it would also be filled with Celine Dion songs.

Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin. Whoa, if there are any Zeppelin fans reading they are probably wondering what on earth is wrong with me. Don’t get me wrong, I do like Zeppelin, but I am afraid this classic has to make my list. Sometimes a song simply gets worn out for you. I remember learning to play this one on guitar as a teenager. For days on end I would play this over and over thinking “wow, this is great, I can play Zeppelin”. I recall one day while playing thinking to myself – “why am I playing this all the time, I don’t think I even like this song very much”. From that moment on I started to like the song less and less. I always felt it was one of those songs that you are not allowed to hate, which makes me dislike it even more. But fear not Zeppelin fans, they do rock!!!

Hotel California, Eagles. I have to sadly admit that the Eagles were never for me. Again, I don’t dislike them, but I don’t really like them either. I can appreciate why people like their songs and on occasion have played some of them on acoustic guitar myself. However, I would never bother to put on an Eagles song to listen to on my own time. If it’s on the radio I can tolerate it, with the exception of this song. I recall a few weeks back Mike at Mr. Mike’s Media Madness told a story from his youth of an obsessive John Mellencamp fan that he had to endure. I had a similar experience with an obsessive Eagles fan. He wasn’t really a friend, but more of just an acquaintance. He would show up at our parties armed with his Eagles greatest hits cassette and blast it all night. He was one of those types that was oblivious to everyone else around him and didn’t seem the least bit bothered that the rest of us probably didn’t want to listen to this all night. When Hotel California came on he would almost zone out in a trance like state and sing along to this song with his eyes closed as if this was the greatest thing ever written in the history of music. I hate that song because of that guy. And I probably can’t appreciate the Eagles because of him too.

Mony, Mony, Billy Idol or Tommy James and the Shondells. Not much to say here that hasn’t been said above. It is yet another wedding favorite. Picture dancing with your 80 year old Aunt while everyone on the dance floor screams “hey Mother yada yada yada”. It just doesn’t work and creates long lasting detrimental effects that cause me to have unexplainable cold shivers every time I hear this song. However, I did have a positive Mony Mony experience at a Billy Idol concert this summer. Watching Billy Idol roam around the audience passing off the mic to people getting them to sing “the line” was priceless. But that’s it, not the song can go away again.

So what makes your list?

3 comments:

Mr. Mike said...

Sorry to hear about the person with the Eagles greatest hits tape, it's lame when someone ruins a band for you. Whenever I think of a song I can't stand, Rod Stewart's "Love Touch" always comes to mind.

Jeff said...

It's hard for me to listen to any Zep at all anymore. They are so extremely overplayed on the radio it's disguisting. I have a theory that at any moment I can find Zep being played on the radio when searching through my favorite stations. I just can't stand to hear any of the big songs anymore. I've gone from being a huge Zep fan to barely being able to tolerate their music. It's a pretty major transition... That's what the radio can do to you I guess.

The Rock Brigade Blogger said...

Hey Mike,there are a couple of Rod Stewart songs that could make my list if I extended it. But I did see him perform about 20 years ago. It was a great show.

Jeff, radio has ruined many a song for me too.