Monday, August 10, 2009

Let's try some movies.

I haven’t really tried reviewing many movies on here before, unless they have been music related. But in an effort to attempt to branch out just a little from time to time, here are some very quick reviews of four of the movies I have watched over the summer so far, all at home on DVD or Blu Ray. I have even attempted an “out of 5 stars” rating. Later in the week I hope to get back to the music and review the self-titled debut of rock’s newest supergroup, Chickenfoot. In any event, here it goes:

Push



A science fiction action movie about a group of people with extraordinary powers. Some are ordinary folks attempting to live their own lives and the others work for “division”. And the power struggle ensues. Does it sound cheesy? It is. I was hoping for a fun mindless escape with this one. Unfortunately I did not enjoy this movie. For some reason the more the movie progressed the more annoyed I became with it. Dakota Fanning is another actor we’ve watched grow up on screen. She is good in the film and has one short scene where she is drunk, it’s quite humorous. Other than that, not much worked for me here. 2 stars out of 5.

Revolutionary Road



This one didn’t work for me either. Although I have to admit it, the performances were great. Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winselt are both great in this film, better than they were in Titanic. You can really sense the distain this couple develops for each other. The movie being set in the fifties really works too. The couple’s situation and plans really goes again social norms of the day. Wait a minute, didn’t I start by saying I didn’t like this movie? Although I can appreciate the performances and concept, by the end of this one I was getting bored with the main characters constant bickering and fighting with each other. 2.5 stars out of 5.

Grand Torino



Awesome!! Clint Eastwood proves that at over 70 years old he is one of the best in the business. Again, just as he did with Million Dollar Baby, Eastwood writes, directs and stars in this fantastic film. This one is actually my favorite of these two wonderful movies. Grand Torino is the story of an old school, prejudice widower, played by Eastwood and the relationship he develops with the foreign family next door in a troubled and ganged filled neighborhood. Eastwood is fantastic as is the supporting cast. This movie doesn’t follow clichés and is a great all round if you love good drama. 4.5 stars out of 5.

Coraline



Coraline is a wonderful , innovative and at times creepy animated feature. It tells the story of a young girl, voiced by Dakota Fanning, who is somewhat bored in her surroundings and of her parents’ obsession with their work. While exploring she discovers an entrance that leads her to her another world where everything is fun, including her parents. Apart from their personalities, the other major difference in this world is everyone has buttons for eyes. It sounds silly as I type it, but it works. Of course the conflict ensues when the “other” parents want to keep Coraline and replace her real eyes with buttons. I watched this one on Blu Ray and in 3D and it was visually stunning as well. This was my first time watching 3D at home and I was impressed. 4 stars out of 5.

As always – send along your thoughts or recommendations. Back later this week!

No comments: