Tuesday, August 25, 2009

John Prine


Although rock and roll remains my favorite genre of music in the many forms that it exists, I do enjoy stepping outside of this world from time to time in the form of a few artists that have caught my ear. One of those is country-folk singer and songwriter John Prine. This coming weekend I get the opportunity to see the legend perform in an intimate and small venue in what should be a great show.

I love any singer who can pick up an acoustic guitar and tell a story though song that draws you in hanging on to every word. There are several out there who can do this and Prine is one of the masters. Listening through the singer’s songs bring forth a range of emotions. One number may almost bring tears to your eyes with heart-breaking and sincere lyrics about the realities of human life and the next may bring forth laughter if it is one of his many funny and light hearted tunes.

When I mention John Prine to people I most often get one of two reactions. One – who’s John Prine? Two – I love John Prine!! I always wanted to see the performer in concert and I have been anticipating this upcoming show all summer. Some thoughts after the performance will follow next week. In the meantime, below is one of my favorite John Prine songs made more famous by Bonnie Raitt and covered by many, Angel from Montgomery. This is Raitt’s version, I’ll probably post something by Prine after the concert.

No comments: