Monday, August 31, 2009

Before Slash, there was Nash...the Slash

Nash the Slash of the Canadian band, FM

Well I decided to keep the blasts from the pasts going for at least another week. I have no idea why this 80’s pop band came into my mind this week but for some reason I found myself sitting down one evening watching their videos on YouTube.

FM are a Canadian band who formed in the late 70’s, but saw most of their success in the 80’s. I am not sure how much success they had outside of their native country, I never really followed them closely. By the time they were getting some airplay in Canada I was submersed deeply into the hair bands of the day. But they had the unmistakable 80’s pop sound with those catchy tunes that could get stuck in your head and stay there for days.

But perhaps the most unique thing about this band was one of their members, Nash the Slash. Nash is also a solo performer and has a bit of a cult type following mainly around his home province of Ontario. His is a multi-insturmentalist and his own style of music is quite different than what you would hear FM performing. Wikipedia describes it best as a blend of new wave/new age/punk rock and I would also throw in progressive maybe. But what is also very unique about Nash the Slash is his appearance. He always appears in videos and live totally wrapped up as if some sort of mummy. Check out the video I have included below to see what I mean. Back in the 80’s I never questioned why he dressed this way, I just assumed it was some sort of gimmick. I checked the Internet do a bit or research on Nash the Slash and here is what I found out.

Aparently during a performance in the late 70's he walked on stage covered in these badages as a sign of awareness of the Three Mile Island Diaster and what could happen to you. In short, the bandages became his trademark and they stuck...haha...bad pun!

Nash has also composed for film and continues to tour and record. FM has also performed in the last few years, although to my knowledge Nash was part of the latest version the band.

Check out the video below for some classic foot tapping, 80's sounding pop music and try not to chuckle at the mummified Nash the Slash rocking out. Have a great labor day weekend!






6 comments:

Isorski said...

Dude played on Losing It from Rush's Signals album. One of my fave songs on that album. Check it out.

The Rock Brigade Blogger said...

I will check that out for sure! Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Ben Mink who also played violin and guitar in FM performed on 'Losing It', by Rush. This is a known fact and Rush fans would know this by heart. Nash The Slash has never played on any Rush songs.

David Gasten said...

I did a review a while back of Nash the Slash's soundtrack for the silent movie "Nosferatu". Check it out:

http://www.polanegri.com/nash_the_slash_nosferatu.htm

It's one of the best silent movie sountracks I've ever heaard, and I've heard quite a few and even helped in the assembly of one for a DVD release.

I was also supposed to do liner notes for a proposed "The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari" soundtrack CD, until I told Nash that I bought the "Tonight" album that your posted video comes from, at which point he quit speaking to me on the spot. Nice guy. Oh well, he's a fabulous artist regardless of his quirks.

Mishiginebig said...

I was just listening to Black Noise tonight and two albums later put on Signals. I have owned both albums since they came out in the early '80's.

For the first time I realized it was Nash on "Losing it". Beer does make you smarter...

Mishiginebig said...

I just read the earlier comment. It was Ben Mink who played electric violin on the Rush track.

It seemed unbelievable ten minutes ago that there could be two great electric violin players in Toronto in the early 80's, but the world is a shocking place at times.