Sunday, July 26, 2009

Long live the 80's...sort of!

I had the privilege this last weekend to attend my 20 year high school reunion. We were fortunate enough to graduate during the last year of an unforgettable (or maybe forgettable) decade. Actually, I loved the 80’s - the wild and crazy fashion, the tunes, the times, etc. etc. Ironically, while attending my Class of ’89 reunion, I did, perhaps for the first time in my life, gain some appreciation for dance music.

I was a rocker in the 80’s. I loved the hair bands and admittedly still do. It was a pleasure to be enjoying some refreshments in a bar with all of the old tunes playing in the background - Twisted Sister, Poison, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi and Canadians Honeymoon Suite and Platinum Blonde. However, as the night progressed and more alcohol was consumed people naturally got the urge to dance. Surprisingly, I was one of the many ready to take to the dance floor. Not that any of us would make Solid Gold dancers (how’s that for an 80’s reference), but there was a noted awkwardness when trying to work the floor to We’re Not Going To Take It.

Later in the evening, someone decided to take action and switched the music. The last hour of so of the evening consisted of a bunch of late 30-somethings dancing around to "Ma-ma-ma My Poker Face" and other more modern dance tracks. And for someone who have always proclaimed to dislike this type of music…I admit it…it was great fun!

I don’t ever see me making of mix of it to play in my i-pod, but the next time alcohol tricks me into thinking I can dance, I will likely welcome the more modern tunes a little easier.

2 comments:

Bar L. said...

so where's the video of you dancing??? LOL about the Solid Gold Dancers, that was a blast from the past. Glad you had fun!

The Rock Brigade Blogger said...

Oh no - in days of electronic recodring being so easy, there very well cound be a video out there some where. lol I hope not. Thanks for stopping by!