Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Bon Jovi Thoughts

This third album from Bon Jovi was a massive hit
and put them on the map to stay over 20 years ago.

My wife is a huge Bon Jovi fan. I’ve always liked the band, and although they never topped my list of favorites, I have enjoyed them over the years. I have seem them perform on two occasions, my wife zero. Both my concert experiences were before our marriage and both were amazing shows. We have to make an effort to see them sometime in the next couple of years for my wife’s sake, and I am sure I won’t be disappointed in the concert either.

I have begun to respect Bon Jovi more as a band over the years. There is no questioning their lasting power and their ability to release solid records and put off great live shows to large audiences. They have changed, but never in a sudden and drastic way. They have evolved, but are still Bon Jovi.

The first time I saw Bon Jovi was towards the end of their tour supporting the Keep the Faith album. I thought this was a strong recording and offered at least 4 or 5 radio friendly popular singles, all of which were played that night. The show I saw would have been one of the last base guitarist Alec John Such played with the band. There have been reports that the rest of the band was displeased with his performance and he was dismissed of his duties. One thing that has always annoyed me is that they have never officially replaced him. I think Hugh Macdonald has been playing base with them ever since. However, he is never listed as an official member of the band, he is always listed as “with Hugh Macdonald”. I like a band to be a band, a complete unit, and if there has to be a lineup change, then so be it.

Bon Jovi started the concert that night with the lead off track from the Keep the Faith album, I Believe. In addition to their singles from that record, they played all the hits from New Jersey and Slippery When Wet. Jon, by himself, played one from his first solo release and the band accompanied him for Blaze of Glory from the same album. They played a couple from their earlier efforts, Runaway and In And Out of Love, and because the show was in December, a holiday song was added to the setlist. There was no denying that it was a very entertaining show.

I don’t own every Bon Jovi recording, but in any event here are my top 10 Bon Jovi songs.

10. I Believe. This song from the Keep the Faith recording is, for the most part, what I like my Bon Jovi songs to be, just fun easy optimistic songs.

9. Livin’ on a Prayer. This song and You Give Love a Bad Name were massive hits from the Slippery When Wet album. I prefer this one.

8. Lay Your Hands on Me. It’s a great arena rocker from the New Jersey album. Sounded great both times I saw them live.

7. Have a Nice Day. I never owned this album of the same name, but I loved this single.

6. Keep the Faith. A bit of a different song for them. I was surprised it was released as a single. I really liked it and it was nice to hear them put out something that wasn’t as radio friendly for a change.

5. Raise Your Hands. One of my favorite rockin’ tracks from their breakout Slippery When Wet album.

4. Who Says You Can’t Go Home, Another single from the Have a Nice Day album. A great feel good happy song.

3. Lost Highway. A nice mid tempo title track from their latest release of the same name. Strangely enough I was hearing this song a lot during a rather dark period in my life when dealing with a serious family illness. During the many drives to and from the hospital this song somehow seemed just right.

2. Summertime. A great upbeat feel good happy song. Probably the “happiest” song on the Lost Highway album.

1. Wanted Dead or Alive. I have always loved this song. Love to play it on guitar too. A great slow rock anthem.

9 comments:

Bill said...

Interesting post this. Personally I can't conceive a Bon Jovi Top 10 without "Dry County" in it. The solo alone is a masterpiece.

"Slippery When Wet" was one of the soundtrack albums to my mid teen years and I still love both it and the self titled début album. I'm afraid that "Dry County" aside I lost interest in "Keep The Faith" very quickly and didn't again regain enough interest to go and see them live again until "Crush".

Thinking about it, there's always a couple of tracks on each Bon Jovi album I enjoy (although I can't be bothered to listen to "Lost Highway") but the first four are all permanent fixtures in my collection.

Top 10 for me...

1) Dry County

then perm nine from...

Come Back
Get Ready
Runaway
Hardest Part Is The Night
Wanted Dead Or Alive
I'd Die For You
Raise Your Hands
Born To Be My Baby
Good Guys Don't Always Wear White
My Guitar Lies Bleeding In My Arms
Just Older
Captain Crash & The Beauty Queen From Mars
Right Side Of Wrong
Last Man Standing

Best I can offer at this time of night!!

3 great gigs spring instantly to mind though. Birmingham NEC on the "New Jersey" tour (2nd time round with the walkway hanging from the ceiling - great prop!), Milton Keynes Bowl '89 and Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton around the turn of the century.

The Rock Brigade Blogger said...

There's a couple on your list that I love too. Dry County is one of them. I also love the songs Just Older and Captain Crash and the Beauty Queen From Mars.

The hanging walkway I never saw live but remember it well from the Lay Your Hands On Me video.

Thanks for writing!

Anonymous said...

If your wife is a huge fan, you must take her to a show next time around. I've been a huge fan since 1985 and have seen a show every tour (lost highway 5 shows). Bon Jovi has evolved (as you say) in the best way. Jon's voice is better than ever, to hear him sing Always or Hallelujah will melt your wife's heart.

drewzepmeister said...

Bon Jovi certainly has evolved over the years. From pop metal in the '80's to the country flavored Lost Highway. I've always respected the band. I was fortunate to see them on their Brotherhood Tour in 1989.

Lee-Ann said...

Stumbled across this blog thanks to a Google alert. I'm a huge Jovi fan; saw them live for the first time in January and followed the whole Lost Highway tour on YouTube. :P

I agree with your comments about Hugh. He's performed live with the band since Alec's departure and played on the albums as far back as Slippery (he's not formally credited but is in the thank yous).

As for my top 10, it changes depending on my mood but Dry County is almost invariably #1, Bed of Roses would be right up there, as would Hey God and Something To Believe In from These Days (my fave album)

The Rock Brigade Blogger said...

Anon, yes my wife needs to see Bon Jovi. The Lost Highway tour has wound down, but I am hoping next summer they will be playing in some major North American city that we can take a vacation too and see the concert. New York would be my perference since we've never been.

Drew, I bet the concert on the Brotherhood tour was great too. Come to think of it, I have never heard anyone say they were disappointed with a Bon Jovi concert.

Kenobi, Something To Believe In is also one of my favorites. I actually couldn't decide on that one or I Believe for the number 10 spot on my list.

Mr. Mike said...

I'm with you and Kenobi on making Hugh Macdonald a full time member. Same goes for Daryl Jones and the Rolling Stones, it's weird to see these bands photographed without a bass player.

I liked that "Raise Your Hands" made the list, I always think of the movie Spaceballs when I hear that song.

Bar L. said...

If I had a dime for every time I heard a guy say "my wife is a big Bon Jovi fan" I'd be a rich woman!
I think he's one of those guys that appeals to men and women...women maybe for different reasons. I think he's good but wouldn't call myself a huge fan. Seriously, if he was really unattractive do you think he'd have as many female fans? Its gotta be partly about the looks, not just the music. Or am I totally wrong?

The Rock Brigade Blogger said...

For my wife, it has nothing to do with the looks. LOL!! I am sure you make a good point. What luck - a good looking front man for the ladies and some rock and roll for the guys, not that the girls don't like the music too.

I am sure you right to say it's a combination of both. But I am sure there have been a few bands with good looking front men over the years that have never achieved the level of success as Bon Jovi either. So I'll give the music some credit too.